Monday, February 28, 2011

Water Quality and My Locs

I've been retightening for the past couple of days now and every now and then I'll spritz my hair with a bit of water to make them a bit more pliable, which got me to thinking about the quality of water I put on my hair. I live in Arizona and the first thing I noticed when I moved out here was that the quality of the tap water out here sucks. Its really harsh and drys my skin out after showers/baths so I often find myself needing to take two baths a day: one in water and soap and one in shea butter. Not to go off on a tangent or anything but I swear by raw shea butter. It keeps my skin so supple and silky, sometimes I'm surprised by how soft my skin is. I wish I could put it in my hair but its kinda chunky and only gets to a smoother consistency when I work it around in the palms of my hands. I wonder if I can melt it down in the microwave or stove top? I dunno, sistas and brothas please let me know if you have tried this and what your experience was like. I don't care if you read this post like 3 years from the date I posted it, let me know what it was like for you.
 Anywho, back to water. I use tap water in my spritz bottle, combined with a bit of jojoba/olive/carrot/clove oil. I know oil and water don't mix but it makes my hair smell amazing and when I spritz with just water it looks and feels soft and pretty but it eventually ends up drier than it was before. I want to try different kinds of water and see if it will make a noticable difference in my hair.

3 comments:

  1. Greetings!
    www.treasuredspotbookreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Miss Marita, I love your blog!! Just wanted to post a little comment about your post. I am no expert in the area but have rocked two sets of locs, I dunno what others would say but when you have micro locs it is not encouraged to use heavy products if any at all in the first year, this is to avoid buildup down the road as well as to prevent the locs from locing. With micro locs it is recommended that you use water only to moisturise for at least a year. I know some people have scalp problems and maybe add a drop or two of essential oil to their bottle but that is it. Build up is devastating when you have micro locs and can be hard to get rid of so I would stay away from heavy oils and waxes. Stay blessed

    ReplyDelete